How to Find Relief From Your Menopausal Symptoms Through Diet
Good nutrition substantially helps to prevent or ease irritating menopausal symptoms. You must be proactive by making smart food choices to find relief from your menopausal symptoms. Let us help you discover a customized diet solution to get started.
Basics: Eat a variety of foods to get the nutrients your body needs, especially iron and calcium. Make sure to read package label information to help inform yourself about making the best choices for a healthy lifestyle.
- Plant-based foods containing isoflavones – plant estrogens – help the body in the same way as estrogen
- Soy milk and tofu has been shown to relieve menopausal symptoms
- Lower cholesterol levels relieve hot flashes and night sweats
Reduce High-Fat Food Intake
To maintain a healthy weight – or to reduce excess pounds – reduce your high fat food intake.
- Fat = 25% to 35% of total daily calories
- Limit saturated fat = less than 7% of total daily calories
- Moderate trans fats intake
- Moderate sugar and salt intake
- Limit alcohol to one or no drinks per day
Common Symptoms Suffered by Menopausal Women
In addition to relieving common menopausal symptoms, you can shed unwanted pounds.
- Unwanted weight gain
- Night sweats
- Daily hot flashes
- Lack of sleep
- Increased stress level
- Loss of muscle mass
Weightloss Solutions for Menopausal Women
- Stay away from carbs. Menopausal women are very sensitive to carbs and become more insulin resistant. Limit processed food and sugars post-menopause.
- Get plenty of rest. Hormones disturb sleep and is more difficult during menopause. Keep a routine sleep schedule and reduce stress before retiring to bed. Don’t substitute eating for sleeping.
- Calm down. Stress changes hormones and more fat gets stored in the body. Mood swings and increased irritability will happen. Avoid getting derailed by emotions. Try meditation or yoga. Create boundaries with others so that you do not get overwhelmed.
- Eat full-fat snacks. Replace your popcorn snack for ice cream. Upping your fat intake in snacks will help you to eat less overall. Try almonds, full-fat cottage cheese, full-fat hard cheeses.
- Keep a food journal. Tracking changes in your diet will help you to measure your success.
- Be realistic. Realize that you are never going to be your 20s weight and shape.
Key Supplements During Menopause
Calcium – 1,200 mg per day. Consume 2 to 4 servings of dairy products and calcium-rich foods every day (1,200 mg of calcium per day).
- Fish with bones – sardines and canned salmon
Iron – 8 mg per day. Up your daily iron intake to 8 mg per day by eating at least 3 servings of iron-rich food.
- Lean red meat
- Leafy green vegetables
- Enriched grain products
Fiber – 21 grams per day. Menopausal women must get enough fiber in their diets to help avoid menopausal symptoms, such as constipation. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables – at least 1½ cups of fruit and 2 cups of vegetables every day. Of course, you must drink plenty of water every day – 8 glasses of water is the general rule of thumb.
Menopausal Food Expertise
If you are experiencing menopausal symptoms, NYC’s celebrated personal weightloss coach – Becky Wilborn – will formulate a customized plan for you to find relief and lose unwanted pounds.
Click the icon below – or – call 212.759.8118 for a free consultation at NYC Weightloss Solutions.Click Here to Schedule Your Free Consultation