Some Basics About Diets for Menopausal Women
- Unwanted weight gain
- Night sweats
- Daily hot flashes
The Menopausal Woman’s Diet
The Basics: Eat a variety of foods to get the nutrients your body needs, especially iron and calcium. Make sure to read package label information to help inform yourself about making the best choices for a healthy lifestyle.
- Plant-based foods containing isoflavones – plant estrogens – help the body in the same way as estrogen
- Soy milk and tofu has been shown to relieve menopausal symptoms
- Lower cholesterol levels relieve hot flashes and night sweats
Calcium – 1,200 mg per day
Consume 2 to 4 servings of dairy products and calcium-rich foods every day (1,200 mg of calcium per day).
- Fish with bones – sardines and canned salmon
Iron – 8 mg per day
Up your daily iron intake to 8 mg per day by eating at least 3 servings of iron-rich food.
- Lean red meat
- Leafy green vegetables
- Enriched grain products
Fiber – 21 grams per day
Menopausal women must get enough fiber in their diets to help avoid menopausal symptoms, such as constipation. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables – at least 1½ cups of fruit and 2 cups of vegetables every day. Of course, you must drink plenty of water every day – 8 glasses of water is the general rule of thumb.
Reduce High-Fat Food Intake
To maintain a healthy weight – or to reduce excess pounds – reduce your high fat food intake.
- Fat = 25% to 35% of total daily calories
- Limit saturated fat = less than 7% of total daily calories
- Moderate trans fats intake
- Moderate sugar and salt intake
- Limit alcohol to one or no drinks per day
Menopausal Weightloss Expertise
If you are menopausal, NYC’s celebrated personal weightloss coach – Becky Wilborn – will formulate a plan for you to lose pounds.
Click the icon below – or – call 212.759.8118 for a free consultation at NYC Weightloss Solutions.Click Here to Schedule Your Free Consultation